Show Side Menu
Login to SystmOnline
Friends & Family Test
Southend East PCN
Domestic Abuse
Follow Us On Facebook
Southend University Hospital
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

Travel Vaccinations

What shall I do when I know I am travelling abroad where I may need vaccinations?

It is important that you book an appointment with the practice nurse as soon as you know the dates of your travel and know your destination; if you are going on a cruise, back packing, staying in a compound holiday resort etc... this will help the nurse to decide what vaccine you will need.

Some vaccination schedules need to start at least one month before travel. Some vaccinations will not be given here and you will need to go to a travel clinic.

What vaccinations will I need?

According to what country you are visiting certain vaccinations are recommended or compulsory.
The practice nurse will advise you on what vaccination or booster is needed and she will administer them. You may need several appointments as some vaccines need several doses.

Beware that some countries will not let in without a vaccination certificate.

Will I have to pay for the vaccinations?

Some travel vaccines are available free on the NHS at the surgery: polio (given as a combined diphtheria/tetanus/polio jab) typhoid, hepatitis A, cholera etc. For more information please click here

Some vaccines such as Yellow Fever need to be administered by designated travel centres.

With regards to malaria tablets, sometimes they can be bought over the counter but more often according to where you are travelling, a private prescription will be needed. The nurse will advise which one.

How can I pay for my vaccinations?

You can pay by cheque or cash. Click here to download the price list (PDF, 50KB)


Always check your holiday insurance to make sure you are covered for high risk activities and check list of what they class as ‘high risk’.

Some useful website:

BCF Travel
The Blood Care Foundation will organise safe screened blood to you wherever you are in the world. They will also do a blood grouping kit for approx. £7 so you know your blood type.

Government website - Foreign & Commonwealth Office
It advises about travelling.

How to deal with a crisis
Precautions you should take in case of a crisis overseas and what help and support we can provide.

International Association for medical assistance to
Will provide health information on vaccinations, disease risks, illnesses, food and water safety advice. They will advise about local places that speak English.

Fit for
Public access provided by the NHS giving health information for people travelling abroad from the UK.

Provides information on malaria and its prevention and general travel health advice, includes short videos with the experiences of a number of travellers.

The National Travel Health Network and
It provides health information for both health professionals and travellers.

Local Services, Let